Wednesday 12 January 2011

Journey PT 3

Annnnnd this is a test render that I had done of the street and my buildings. Looks pretty decent with plain lighting. At this stage, I feel pretty confident about the look of the whole thing, since I've investigated plenty, experimented plenty, and have gained quite a bit of knowledge, and passed some on. Yaaay. I'm looking forward to the final piece of this though.
So. This is what the rendered versions of two of the small houses I modelled. Now, if you look closely at the house closest to the camera, you'll notice a little easter egg. Well, it's only if you can identify it. :P

Self explanatory - Same description as below.

These are the UV's I used for this building.

Now, I did four houses, based on the same geometry, and the same UV's. Obviously there's only a slight variation in terms of colour and texture. Like for example, some colours are darker, some have marks on them, near the base of the ground due to wear and tear.

Just in case you're wondering, some parts of the wood purposely have little bits of paint put over the wood. This is to illustrate the sloppiness in the making of the houses in that era.
Yay! Textured houses! Yes, they're all different. Thankfully with UV mapping you can scale the house. But only if you scale the object as a whole. Scaling parts individually means that the UV goes out of whack, and you're left with a texture-less object.

So, back to this house. Texturing time. Using the EXACT same method. (UV snapshots, exporting into photo-shop, painting the textures blah blah blah)

Oh wait.

I didn't actually explain how I UV my objects. :P

Well it all depends. Automatic mapping isn't really cool for this sort of thing, so instead I used create UVS based on camera in the Planar Mapping feature. This allowed me to texture the individual faces of a house. Later on it was revealed to me by Gerome who further experimented on what I taught everyone, and found out that you can individual create a face's UV. This would allow you to simply correct any errors.


Okay, this is just an image of the houses that I have so far. So, at this point, Sarahs house is finished (second house from the left) so is Oly's house, (first on the left) and Geromes, and Lily's house. The only house missing now is Dominique's. In all fairness, she has been trying really hard, but her laptop is pretty much ultimate fail. Every 10 seconds, the screen goes white until you knock it back into place, and randomly stops functioning. This, combined with simple mistakes made her house fail time and time again. Hopefully she'll have success soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment